Review: Wonder Woman, Volume 1: Blood

Wonder Woman, Volume 1: Blood Wonder Woman, Volume 1: Blood by Brian Azzarello
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Review 4 out of 5 | Grade: B+

Initially I was going to not write a review about the first Volume of Brian Azzarello's wonder women. Because it didn't excite me, and perhaps because I was coming off the high of reading DCeased & its tie in stories, this felt a bit lacking. I know it's not unfair to compare the regular run with an event comic, a limited series at that.

But, the characterization, story & setting, all felt a bit meandering from my perspective. It doesn't help that the first volume mostly focused on Diana's relationship with her mother, her parentage, and some as of yet not fully revealed narrative involving Zeus, and the latest girl that he got pregnant. Seriously, after reading enough Greek stories, if anyone needs a serious neutering it's the Lord of Olympus. He's probably gotten around as much as Genghis Khan for hades' sake.

The First volume is slow, lack Lustre and without much direction, but it's mostly setting up events and characters for the succeeding volumes. But as I read more, I find myself appreciating and enjoying the sheer richness and lore of Diana's Greek mythology, which the writers are digging into. As well as how they're able to bring several elements of ancient Hellenic Epics to the modern world.

Brian Azzarello & co, make the various Gods, Demigods and creatures of the Greek Mythology coexist in the modern world. Some as everyday humans. While others, as conceptual entities whose true forms and nature eludes the limited span of mortal understanding.

And Diana is there, traversing these strange and awesome realms of the Gods, meeting them, negotiating with them, fighting them when required and all the while staying true to her moral core as the symbol of Truth and Justice.



So, for those of you who read this Volume, and felt underwhelmed, I'm here to tell you, to hold patience. For better things are in the horizon.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: ഓട്ടോറിക്ഷക്കാരൻ്റെ ഭാര്യ | Autorikshawkkarante Bharya

Review: മീരാസാധു | Meerasadhu